Fathers We Salute You
'Father! - to God himself we cannot give a holier name!' William Wordsworth
This quote defines the meaning of being a father, and the various responsibilities the male parent has on his shoulders. We salute fathers all around the world and honor them on 'Father's Day'. But are we alone?
Do other countries celebrate Father's Day?
Yes they do and the date varies from country to country. We celebrate on the third Sunday of June which is the same as Canada and America. Argentina, France, Greece, India, Ireland, Mexico, Pakistan, Singapore, South Africa, and Venezuela also celebrate.
In Australia and New Zealand Father’s Day is on the first Sunday in September. In Thailand it is celebrated on December 5, which is the birthday of the country’s king and Brazilian dads are honored on the second Sunday of August.
Father's Day is a relatively modern holiday, so different families have different traditions. These can range from a simple phone call or greetings card to large parties honoring all father figures in an extended family. Father figures can include fathers, step-fathers, fathers-in-law,
grandfathers, great-grandfathers and even other male relatives.
In Mexico Father’s Day is referred to as “Día del Padre”, where many families get together, prepare meals and distribute gifts to fathers or father figures. In South Africa, many social and cultural societies host Father's Day celebrations to stress the important role of fathers in nurturing children and building stronger society.
There are some suggestions that the idea of Father's Day may originate in pagan sun worship. Some branches of paganism see the Sun as the father of the universe. The June solstice occurs around the same time of year as Father's Day so some people see a link between the two.
Father's Day Facts
1. There are 1.5bn fathers worldwide. Each year, 122m children are born wordlwide.
2. In the UK 7 million Father's Day cards are sent each year, compared to 13 million Mother's
3. Father’s Day was invented by American Mrs. Sonora Smart Dodd whose father had, as a single parent raised his six children. The first Father's Day was celebrated on June 19, 1910.
4. Marilyn Monroe famously sang Cole Porter’s ‘My Heart Belongs to Daddy’. She did not know who her real father was.
5. According to the Office of National Statistics, four fifths of children have a Dad at home - eighty per cent of dependent children live with their father.