Prepare yourself for moving home this christmas
David Wilson Homes
Leading developer David Wilson Homes Southern is helping house hunters in Berkshire have a hassle free move this Christmas by giving its top tips on preparing for moving day this season.
The five star housebuilder currently has a range of expertly crafted homes available to reserve across the county, which will be ready to move into in time for the festive period and Sales Director Rob Allen is offering his advice on how to prepare in the countdown to the big day.
Rob said: “Moving home is undoubtedly a stressful experience, especially in the run up to Christmas, but by being prepared, you can make the move as smooth and relaxed as possible.”
The countdown begins:
One month to moving day
You’ve reserved your dream home and planned all your new furniture (including your new Christmas tree!), so now it’s time to start the dreaded packing process and organise the move.
Two weeks to moving day
- Make sure you have all packing materials ready, not just boxes and containers but paper, bubble wrap, tape and pens to mark what’s in each box. Start packing the non-essentials as soon as possible, especially in storage areas like the garage or attic.
- While packing, make sure to clear out any excess unnecessary belongings to cut down the amount you have to shift on moving day – try and sell any unwanted items so you have extra cash to spend on Christmas presents and mince pies in the run up to the festive season.
- Consider whether you’re going to use a professional removal company or hire a van and move your belongings yourself. Either way book the company or the vehicle in advance, especially as you’re moving around a busy time of year.
You’re well into packing and surrounded by boxes by this point, as the packing continues make sure you think about the logistics of the move.
On the big day
- Start changing your details over to your new address. Make sure you update your address with your insurers, banks, credit card providers, DVLA, employer, credit card or finance providers and any medical organisations who might need to know, such as your GP and dentist. To avoid missing any important documents (and Christmas cards), consider setting up a redirection with the post office for the first few months.
- Get smart with your food shopping and meal planning – rather than waste everything currently in your freezer and have to throw it out when you move try and use up as much as possible without buying new supplies which will just go to waste.
- Finalise your accounts with all utilities such as water, electricity, gas, telephone and anything else.
- Organise your Christmas presents – if you’re prepared enough to have done your Christmas shopping before your move (and aren’t leaving it until Christmas Eve like some) make sure you have all of these pack separately, so you can hide these from the kids and won’t have to search for them before you go to put them under the tree.
- Keep all precious items, valuables and important documents with you when you move so you have peace of mind they won’t get lost.
- If you have pets or children around on the day, try and keep them in a room away from the moving activity to ensure they don’t escape or get hurt in the chaos.
- Ensure that all rooms have working lightbulbs before it gets dark on moving day so you know you won’t get caught out in the evening.
Rob continued: “We understand that Christmas can be a very stressful time for many families but by moving into a brand new David Wilson property we can help take the hassle of moving out of the equation and our expertly trained Sales Advisers will be on hand to welcome you into your dream home.
“A selection of our properties will be ready to move in before the big day and as they’re brand new you don’t have to worry about needing to do any DIY or changing anything.
“By reserving your dream home now, you will be all settled in just in time for the festive season and as all of our homes are energy efficient with high standards of insulation you could start saving money on your bills too.”
David Wilson Homes has a selection of properties available to reserve now at the following developments in the area that could help make your Christmas even more magical: Croft Gardens in Reading, Montague Park in Wokingham, Newbury Racecourse and The Chase @ Newbury Racecourse in Newbury.
The properties are also available with a range of incentives and moving schemes such as Part Exchange, to help your move go as smoothly as possible.
For more tips on preparing to move home, please visit https://www.barratthomes.co.uk/library/Your-moving-day-checklist/
For more information on any David Wilson Homes developments near you, please call the sales team on 0844 811 4333 or visit www.dwh.co.uk