• Donnington Grove

Thatcham 100 Years Ago

We start a New Year, 2019, but what did the New Year bring 100 years ago?  Harry Collins and Geoffrey Witts set up a woodturning business behind the parish hall in Chapel Street.  The site remained in use until it was destroyed by a fire in 1932. The business then moved to new premises in St Johns Road.

Sydney Ashman starts a road transport business using a vehicle based in an old barn at the top of the Broadway. In 1921 Sydney forms a partnership with Wilfred Street and they form Thatcham Road Transport Services and by 1924 have moved to Colthrop.

Two ladies, Mrs Ashman and Mrs Pike, are elected to the parish council, the first time women have been elected to the parish council. Mrs Anna Ashman (née Munro), was born in Glasgow in 1881 to Margaret Ann MacVean and Evan MacDonald Munro. In 1906 she joined the Women’s Social and Political Union and founded a branch in Dunfermline. She was not one for staying still or keeping quiet she took part in a walk from Scotland to London and was later arrested and imprisoned several times. She eventually met local man Sydney Ashman and in 1913 they married.

To the delight of many, 1919 also saw racing at Newbury Racecourse resumed after being closed during the First World War.